IFC 2020 Dr. Mario Tournament
This is a tournament that will be held over virtual IFC weekend, August 28 - 30.
Rules (MAY CHANGE)
We’re doing a Dr. Mario tournament! We’re still deciding on which web platform to play the game but the rules WHICH ARE SUBJECT TO CHANGE will go something like this:
- The tournament is 1 on 1 versus matches, single elimination.
- The winner will be the first to three wins (standard Dr. Mario vs)
- Difficulty will start around 4 - 6, and increase in subsequent rounds. Speed is up to player preference
- Should a disconnect, crash, or other unfortunate event happen, we as hosts will keep track of wins, and will resume from that number (If player A has 2 wins, and player B has 1, and it crashes, the game will be relaunched. The game itself will report 0 - 0, but we will continue as if it was 2 - 1)
- The winner will receive a 16” giant COVID-19 plush (should the winner decline or not provide appropriate shipping/contact information, we will move on to 2nd place, 3rd, etc)
- There will be prizes for 2nd, 3rd, and 4th place, TBA
- Myself, my cohosts, and the two players will be in a Discord room
- Each player must stream the game window
- Myself and my cohosts will spectate and announce the games
- If cheating is discovered, it will result in immediate disqualification.
Instructions & Materials to play
Download necessary files
- RetroArch Emulator for Windows 64 Bit
- RetroArch Download Page for other Operating Systems
- Dr. Mario Game File
- Once you have downloaded the files above, run the installer for RetroArch. Hopefully the defaults for the questions it asks will be fine.
- Run RetroArch
Download A Core
Nintendo - NES / Famicom (FCEUmm)
- Go back to the main menu, then select
Connect to Netplay Host
Filein the upper left, then
- Navigate to where you downloaded the
Dr. Mario (JU).nesfile you downloaded, and select it.
Just want to play locally?
Assuming you have completed steps 1 through 5 above, you can then just
Load Content...: and select the
Dr. Mario (JU).nes file: